Thursday, October 3, 2013

Simplicity is Calling

For those that have known me a long time, know I am not normal. I don't try to follow the Jones', I don't have a better homes and gardens home, and I don't keep up with the latest fashions. Who says any of that is normal anyway? I enjoy the crazier side of life.



We sold our house in 2006 and moved our family of 5 into a 5th wheel trailer. Story can be found here. We lived in that trailer for the best part of 3 years. Loved it, but moved into a house at our first duty station. There we decided to do the farm thing. That story can be found here. Soon we couldn't afford that and moved into town. Our first time as a family to live in town.

It ruined us! Ugh! I loved being close to friends and driving was much shorter. It was cheaper. But I had to find ways to entertain children. And they became infested with stuffitis and me-attitude. Then you had to deal with the world at your door watching everything you do. Which in turn made me worry about what they thought about this overly sized homeschooling family. And my husband felt like he was in a cage.



Our next move, courtesy of the army, we moved to the country again while my husband lives on post to attend school. We love country life! And Isaiah's Place is a God send. Yet I still find I am fighting stuffitis. Once it has infiltrated your home, it is hard to get rid of. And it moved with us. Plus I'm really tired of picking up the stuff.

I felt the need to keep a showcase home (never achieved that). I felt I had to have high achieving academic children (don't have that either). I had so much performance pressure in town that I never experienced before. No one told me I had to acheive these things. But living in town changed me. Now I'm struggling to let it go and enjoy homeschooling again. Be able to get thru the day and smile at the mess, instead of letting it turn me into a beast. I like a clean house, just like the rest of us. But it shouldn't control me, nor should it zap the joy out of our home.

Simplicity is calling. Having few belongings, having less than 400sqft living space, and having few bills is simple and freeing. I hear it whispering in my ear.


No comments:

Post a Comment